Saturday 3 September 2016

It's That Time Again

It's that time again...every three months! In about 10 days. The dreaded endo appointment. I've always had mixed feelings towards doctor visits in general. The idea of being in a room with a doctor or two talking or questioning me keeps me stressed for days prior leading up to the appointment. Being in hospitals has always been something I despised...definitely not fun. The appointment usually takes about an hour were blood work is done, blood pressure and weight are recorded followed by seeing my team. Recently my diabetes team (endocrinologist, nurse, dietician) would enter the room at different times rather than have all three be in the room at the same time. I am not sure why they started doing that but I am glad they did that because it helped ease down on my anxiety of the visit.

But I know what many of you might be questioning: "why is she even anxious? it's just an appointment

Despite my team being super supportive and also encouraging...it is me that makes this harder on myself. I am usually hard on myself...I strive for improvement and get easily disappointment when my efforts don't add up or when I go through a rough period dealing with my diabetes. Having my A1C results feels like a pass or fail exam...a mindset that I am working on changing. An A1C is a blood test done that shows blood sugar control over the past three months.

I always try and add humor into the appointment to ease down on my anxiety a bit that is why it is important finding a team that you feel comfortable with and trust. Sadly though it is my last appointment before transitioning to adult care. The good part though is instead of the appointments becoming every three months they are now twice a year.




No comments:

Post a Comment