Thursday 22 September 2016

A Different First Impression

Technically if I had my life together and was organized I would have written this yesterday. I'm still adjusting to the university life...my blood sugars seem to be cursed or something just either crazy high or crazy low! Also I never thought my feet could ever walk as much as I do...oh boy!

Anyways to my main point...first impressions! Just like every teenager, fitting in is such a vital part in their teenage mind. The fears of standing out, not fitting in or being viewed as lame or rude. Although i'm a shy person i'm working on opening up and talking and getting to know others but some days when blood-sugars aren't cooperating that action can be extremely challenging, especially for an introvert like me.

Yesterday I had my very first lab and just like every time I meet someone new I want them to have a good impression of me. I want them to see the real me and not see diabetes overshadowing me however, yesterday was quite challenging. After having half my site disconnecting and not realizing till I got home I was running between 20 and above 33.3 (360-600) (the maximum my meter can read is 33.3) for around 6 hours. I could feel my leg and arm muscles fatigue, excruciating headache, tingling tongue, super hungry but feeling aggravated at the same time and not wanting to eat anything. I was drinking heaps of water and i'm sure I've went to the washroom more times thank you can count!  You see I could've gone home but I cared about the first impression of being on time and prepared. During the lab I tried hard to focus but the information was barley going through. I would read my instructions 4-5 times before I knew what step I needed to be done next...through this procedure I worried what first impression my lab partner would think of me? Stupid? Takes forever to understand? Or what would the TA might think? Being high I get frustrated easily, super impatient, I struggle processing information and feel lethargic overall...not really the reflection I would want someone to think of me

In general first impressions can be an important part of friendship, group work or basically any interaction with others because our brain automatically does what it does and sometimes diabetes overshadow the real me!
My bloodsugars over the 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment