Tuesday 20 September 2016

Diabetes and Driving

Just like anything that diabetes mixes with it makes things more complicated. Not in the sense that things are impossible to do just more challenging. I'm currently in my 2 driving lesson. Lets begin by mentioning I've always had an unusual fear or driving, I have such a scary feeling when i'm driving and I go over the speed of 40...I know old grandma driving here. But here is where diabetes plays a role...you pretty much need numbers in range to be able to drive, well in my case anyways! The rule is as long as you're above 5 you're able to drive because that will reduce the risk of having low blood sugars while driving.
That is never a worry for me because I get anxious to go driving which means my bloodsugars spike because of the adrenaline. Today I was told my reaction time was slow. Reaction time on turns, switching lanes, pushing gas pretty much anything to do with reaction was low. Although my blood sugar wasn't too high (14.4) I realized that even numbers that high along with stress affected my reaction time. So although driving is a great privilege, with diabetes it can be tough because I have to find that perfect balance between high and low

PS. To all my friends reading this I promise you i'm a good driver and you're in safe hands when i'm driving...it all depends on my blood sugars though (may the odds be ever in you favour) Haha

BG post driving 



No comments:

Post a Comment