Saturday 10 September 2016

Back To University / College Guide

Okay, let me be honest here. I was a nervous wreck to start post secondary but hey, it's not as nerve-wracking as I thought. However,  what a transition it is from high school. Although it has only been a few days, here are 4 things I have learnt in coloration with my diabetes.

1. Adjusting meal timings:
- Since starting university things have been a little bit chaotic. My schedule is all over the place and I'm constantly busy either walking around campus or in a lecture that usually the last thing that crosses my mind is food and I realise that I haven't eaten anything but apples and breakfast the whole day. In addition to that, knowing food areas and what they sell around your campus is important. Personally, I decided to pack leftover food as I am a picky eater but I do have a meal plan for emergency purposes like forgetting my food or need food to treat a low.

2. Professors: 
- It is my responsibility and a super important one to let my professors know about my diabetes for a couple reasons. Some lectures have a "no eating in class" rule so in the case of a low I will need to eat or if I need to leave class. Taking chemistry means I will have lab time, in the case of a low I will need the TA support so I can treat without causing any danger with chemicals and to be able to get food in the lab. Lastly, profs need to know for exam and testing purposes. If you are a quite person about diabetes I would suggest emailing your prof, that way you can avoid the face to face conversation.

3. Walking:
- OMG! I can not begin to mention how much walking I've been doing around campus. What a great exercise and movement especially following a 3hr lecture but honestly it is resulting in nothing but constant lows and no matter what I eat. It is really important to have some quick on the go snack with you all the time and to adjust ratios to try and prevent as many lows as possible. Afterall low blood sugars are never fun.

4. Sharps Box
- Before starting university it is important to know where sharp boxes are located. In my university, they are located in some of the bathrooms so it is important ti know which bathrooms in case I need to change my site or if I decide on going on a pump break I need to know where to through my pen needles. 

Let me know if you have any other tips and tricks about dealing with diabetes and university. Feel free to comment below 



No comments:

Post a Comment