Saturday 27 August 2016

Summer and Diabetes

Woah! All I did was blink and summer is almost over! Between my sailing trip, flying back to Egypt to visit family and staying at a beach resort I was fully occupied with adventures. As fun as summer is things can get a bit complicated on a diabetes level for three main reasons:

Holiday Mode:
-Routines really help keep blood-sugars more stable. While on holiday having a routine can be tough. My workout timings and food aren't the same everyday. The amount of sleep I get is usually very minimal...although these changes sound minor it can really throw me off my control as blood sugars become unpredictable at times. In addition being on holiday is meant to be a relaxing time period which can cause individuals to slack with their diabetes care...I know that definitely happened to me during my trip.

Exercise:
-My passion in life is staying active and exercising. It's a way for me to escape from life and does magical wonders to my blood sugar. However, when on holiday working out can be a bit tough. (I know I can workout at home but that's just boring). Having different exercise levels throughout the summer affects bgs greatly. For example I can be active for 3 days straight and have tons of lows and than my activity level can drop for the next week and I'll start having stubborn highs that can be extremely frustrating at times.

Food:
-Before anyone gets me wrong on this...yes type 1 diabetics can eat whatever they want as long as they take their insulin but just like everything else there are good food and not-so good food. As a picky eater I eat the same food pretty much every day so I'm no expert at carb counting. I usually have low carb and 'healthy' food for the most part. On holiday this can be difficult as your control of food is limited. Being invited to people's houses every other day you have no idea what they will cook and how many carbs are in the food so it's a "guess the carbs and bolus" game which can mess up blood sugars big time. In addition, Egyptian food is fat rich and that can have a huge effect on my numbers.

There are minor topics such as stress level, excitement, jetlag...etc that I haven't mentioned. I decided to stick to the main once that affected me

Controlling blood sugars during the summer time can be difficult due to a hectic schedule and feeling out of sync but I always try and remind myself that it's important to breath and enjoy the moment

Full of laughter on my sailing trip
Family time and cousin love 


Rocking the banana boat 




No comments:

Post a Comment