Wednesday 14 December 2016

Pushing Through

Let me tell you about the reseliance and strength of a person with type 1 diabetes. When we first get diagnosed we are taught to fight, push through the rough days and sail through the smooth days. We refuse to give excuses or give ourselves a day off even when we have every right to do so. 

But sometimes we go through rough periods called "diabetes burnouts" or if you're a teenager its called a "rebellious" period. This is defined as something that takes place when a person is either unwilling to change, or simply tired of the endless attention diabetes care requires. For each person this period can look different. From ways of coping, to how long it lasts to how they care for their diabetes during this period. Some might end up in hospital while others do the very bare managment required to keep them out of hospital however, one thing in common is that diabetes burnouts are draining and exhausting. 


Diabetes burnouts is really mentally a struggle. From having to convince yourself you're fine when all you've done today was sleep in. Having to convince yourself that you need to test your blood sugar and give insulin despite your mind playing tricks on you telling you "what diabetes...you have diabetes?" Having to tell youself you gotta do it as your mind tells you just start fresh tomorrow. Its a vicious cycle of not giving insulin, not checking blood sugars, not eating or eating a lot of uncovered carbs that seems hard to break. Its a cycle that seems to be long lasting and draging along day after day.

For anyone reading this that's going through a burnout or rough time with your diabetes let me assure you YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I'm going through it and i get how you feel. Rarley having the energy to workout, wanting to stay in bed and sleep all day, wondering why me? why was I chosen to have diabetes, why do I have to deal with this...Its frustrating and exhausting I know! but trust me you can push through. Reach out for help...it is very important to do so. There are a ton of awesome people that love you who would be glad to help. most importantly words from a wise friend...it is okay to ask for help, we all need it sometime. Just because you ask for help does not mean you are weak or uncapable it just means you need some support and that is ok. It took me 2 weeks before I asked for help. I spent 2 weeks trying to hint that I am struggling because I was shy to ask for help.

Asking for help can be from anyone like your parents, friends, families, diabetes team, psycologist or from the diabetes online community. There is plenty of help avaliable but it is important to take the first and brave step of asking for help...it is definetly not easy. And for those supporting, offer your help but don't ask the person everytime you talk to them about their bloodsugars, insulin or food intake because they are far more than just diabetes.

                                           







1 comment:

  1. Thanks Mariam,
    Just having one of those moments myself and appreciate knowing such wonderful people like yourself. You could lift me up in your darkest moments.

    It is hard to take these steps when you've been warn down. When you are up against challenges that seem overwhelming. But I realize I can stop doing the most simple of tasks when I'm being pushed around by the big picture of it all. Today I'll take a step at a time.

    ReplyDelete