Friday 14 October 2016

My Numbers? Ummm...It's Complicated

Very often I get a few comments from those around me around the lines "Why are you always high? Why are you always low? Why can't you just take your insulin count your carbs and that way you will have control over your numbers?"

Here is the thing though...diabetes isn't as simple as take you insulin and you should have a beautiful day of blood sugar numbers. If that was the case I assure you I would've had such awesome numbers because although I try and contain my frustration every time that number on the screen pops up as a high or low number a part of me gets annoyed. I can do everything right and still get a completely wacko other answer...why you may ask?

Well, our bodies are such beautiful creations that work in so many different ways. Everything and anything can affect our diabetes. Other than the well-known insulin and food...stress, exercise, happiness, fear, whatever emotion you are feeling will have an effect on our blood sugar. Sickness, dehydration, change in pressure and even getting a sunburn.  Those are just a few of the long list of factors. It's similar to a scale, a game of balance by trying to keep the scale stable. Now diabetes is different for everyone so for some people these factors might have a huge effect on their numbers while it won't affect someone else at all. But why do these factors affect blood sugars?

Well, it's all about hormones...all these effects releases hormones such as adrenaline that cause extreme blood sugar fluctuations. I can assure you that the majority of individuals with diabetes would love to have their numbers in range because they feel so much "fresher" when it is in range but  despite trying for some cases its out of our hands.

Stress causes blood sugars to run high 


When I have any vaccinations I immediately drop

No comments:

Post a Comment