Tuesday 12 July 2016

Hypo-unawarness

Hypo-unawareness, a medical term given to not feeling low blood sugars! When a person has a low blood sugar they would start feeling symptoms such as exhaustion, dizziness, confusion, impatience and irritability. These symptoms are felt when the individuals blood sugar starts dropping below 4 mmol/l (72 mg/dl) however, for those who have hypo-unawareness have reduced symptoms making them feel their lows at a much lower blood sugar reading. Referring to myself, I feel my blood sugars at 2.5 (45) or lower for the most part. This can be extremely dangerous if not felt and treated in time as it can result in me having a seizure. Although my CGM (continuous glucose monitor) a device inserted in the interstitial fluid that gives a blood sugar reading ever 5 mins has saved me several times by suspending my insulin pump from administrating insulin, just like all technology it has failed me leaving me with a couple close calls. If you know of a person with diabetes acting out of sync they might be dealing with a low so please help them out because lows are not fun at all! On this note a special thank you to anyone reading this who has helped me while I'm dealing with a low blood sugar, I know I'm not always the happiest during those moments.
One of the many times my CGM saved me by suspending
my pump for 5 hours before I woke up to its alarms.



No comments:

Post a Comment