Saturday 23 July 2016

Diabetes and Exercise

For those that know me know that my love for sports is unconditional and that I'd probably be down to workout, go for a run or play any sport at any time...even if I'm tired, fasting or having to wake up early. Staying active is my stress relieve, my moment of freedom and does miracles to my bloodsugars. 

However, diabetes being diabetes, it doesn't always co-operate well. Their are guidelines to follow but each person is different and it all comes with trial and error. Some things I know, if I start at a bloodsugar lower than 5 I'll end up going low and anything higher than 15 I'll be far too exhausted. Cardio makes my bloodsugar drop and weights make my bloodsugar go high. 

But, as simple as it sounds more factors are involved. My excitement, last time I ate, what I ate and the last time I exercised. I have been training soccer the past couple of weeks and I've noticed my bloodsugars drop and remain low for up to 48 hours post training...crazy right? But on days like today where I'm excited to go to training and didn't get much sleep the previous night I went high high high...totally unexpected. 

Another example was on my sailing trip last month, I went for a hike...nothing too crazy but I lowered my basals and reduced my breakfast insulin but still ended up going low and needed 13 glucose tablets to get my blood sugars up...I usually require 3-4...crazy I know! 

This just comes to show how unpredictable diabetes can be and how us as individuals with diabetes need to prepared for whatever the outcome might be and on top of things...which is not always easy I'll admit! But the highs and lows won't stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment