Wednesday 27 July 2016

From Good To Bad In Seconds

If you've ever spent a day with a person with diabetes you'd know that things can happen fast! 

Today seemed like a good day to spend it at the sporting club...my family and I went around 4 to have lunch there before my soccer training. Sounds like a normal day! Once we settled and ordered our food, some delicious cheese pastries...my favourite I decided to pre bolus for my food. 60g injecting 8.5u into me and waited anxiously for the food. 

I waited and waited and the food took forever...it finally arrived an hour after I had bolused. As I took my first bite my pump starting beeping alerting that my BG was 3.9. No worries...I was already eating and it will soon go up I thought. 

Moments later things took a quick turn...all I could see in front of me was hazzy, blurry and double visioned. Barley able to blurt words out of my mouth I asked for my meter. My mum quickly checked my BG which was 1.4 (25 mg/dl) gave me some tablets and went to get me some juice or anything sugary she could buy...there was no way she was going to wait patiently for 15 mins to see if I needed to retreat. 

All I could feel was the numbness of my mouth and tongue. I was trembling and could barley keep still...felt like I was sitting in -40C temperature in short sleeves and shorts from how much I was trembling. I felt pretty awful, it's like I have ran 50km with only 3 hours of sleep! I felt really unwell that I started to cry...not something you expect an 18 year old to do in public but when your body and brain are deprived from glucose it happens. 

As I patiently sat trying to stay awake with the help of my aunt and mom my blood-sugars started rising and I started becoming more energetic however, there was no way I could go to my soccer training. My energy level was still low and it would take me another 30mins to fully recover which would be too late to go for soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment